Hola!! ( That's French for, like, what's up) You did a great job with that first lesson, give yourself a round of applause or a pat on the back, depending on which one you prefer.
Now let's use that Mixtape Method we discussed in order to look at a new song by Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth.
Let's Review The Steps To Properly Analyze Anything Before We Jump In:
- First Impressions: Here we take notes and mental pictures, our brains start to make assumptions, but we know we need further inspection to prove what we think we know.
- Info Gathering: Now we begin to look closely in order to prove or disprove what we think based on our first impressions. Remember, text evidence isn't just made of words, it's everything that will help you to form a strong, educated, opinion.
- Thesis Statement: The first part of this step is looking deeper for more evidence, secondary sources and the like. Now we can move from an opinion to an educated, informed, theory on why we like something, what it's about, and how it was made.
Materials Needed: Paper // Audio Recording "They Reminisce" by Pete Rock and CL Smooth // Video for Song // Print out of lyrics for song
1) Listen to song and create a word web or any note taking method you choose in order to begin to observe your first impressions and move towards developing an opinion.
2) Now listen to the song while watching the video. What visual evidence supported your ideas gathered in step 1? Did they change your opinions? Take more notes.
3) Listen to the song a 3rd time with lyrics on your desk. Underline anything that stands out and helps make sense of the song. What words are interesting? What is your favorite line? Why?
4) Develop a thesis statement that includes what you believe this song is about.